Piers Morgan today picked apart Harry and Meghan’s decision to leave baby Archie in Canada while they jet to the UK for their final round of royal engagements.
Since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex relocated to Canada, the pair have travelled to various events overseas, but never with their nine-month-old son who was born in Britain.
The couple will fly from Vancouver Island back to the UK on March 5 for Family duties before peeling away from the front line indefinitely.
But the Good Morning Britain presenter questioned why the recent parents would leave their infant for a period of time and not take him with them.
Speaking on the show as panelists discussed whether or not UK tax payers should foot the bill for the family’s security, he said: ‘It’s a bit odd, I’ve had four kids and the rule was always that both parents wouldn’t be out of the country at the same time as the kids when they were that young, I’m very surprised.
Scroll down for video
Piers Morgan (pictured above) was criticised by social media users today after he suggested Meghan and Harry shouldn’t be leaving baby Archie on his own
Harry and Meghan are pictured above with their son baby Archie before they relocated to Canada
Harry and Meghan’s travels this year and where they are expected to be going in March
‘We don’t know for sure if Archie is coming on this trip, but it struck me as slightly odd I have to say, that both parents would be in London and this little eight/nine-month-old baby is left back in Canada’.
Social media users hit back at Piers and said he needs to ‘talk about something else’ and claimed he needs to ‘leave Meghan and Harry alone’.
One user said: ‘I need to let you all know that #BettyFromBuckingham aka the queen left her children, for 6 months and went on a royal tour. So please leave #HarryandMeghan alone when it comes to THEIR SON #Archie.’
Many agreed and another user said that Kate and William had left baby George with a nanny for their second honeymoon, accusing Piers of bullying Meghan.
Harry and Meghan spent their first Christmas with baby Archie at this £10million waterfront mansion on Vancouver Island in Canada and have left the baby there during their travels
The Duke of Sussex released this photograph of him with baby Archie on New Year’s Eve in Canada. Harry has recently been in Edinburgh without his son
Another added: ‘1.Funny how no one ever questions when fathers leave their kids to work or travel. 2. You say ‘leave them’ like it’s permanent 3.There is global virus going around and we know kids and elderly are more susceptible. 4. You are once again making something out of nothing.’
One said that it was ‘time you left them alone and stopped criticising them for everything’, while another chimed in: ‘OMG. Leave Harry and Meghan alone. Each person is different. Enough this bullying’.
Harry has been in the UK since February 26 for an event in Edinburgh and last week visited Abbey Road studios while Meghan stayed in Canada with Archie.
On February 6 they attended an event in Miami without Archie before going to California on February 11, also leaving him behind.
Social media users criticised Piers Morgan today after his comments about Meghan leaving baby Archie on his own
Piers added: ‘On the financial aspect of this it means that Archie has to be protected in Canada while both his parents have to be protected somewhere else.’
Earlier on in the show co-host Susanna Reid said she had previously struggled to leave her children on their own when she went on holiday with her ex partner.
She said she had been unable to board a plane and was reduced to tears as she was ‘so worried’ that ‘something bad would happen’.
‘For my 40th we were supposed to go away without the children and I literally physically couldn’t get on the plane with my children’s Dad who I was with at the time as I couldn’t stand the thought that something might happen to us and we had left the children at home.
Former royal protection officer Ken Wharfe said baby Archie was the biggest threat to the family and that there was a ‘real risk of kidnap’ due to the bad press the couple have created around themselves.
This is while Ateh Jewel said the family should continue to have security from the British tax payer.
She added: ‘She’s a young mother, all bets are off, maybe she thinks it’s safer to be on an isolated island than in London. I’d send my girls to an island for them to be safe.’
Also on the show it was revealed that more than nine out of 10 Good Morning Britain viewers believed that taxpayers should not have to pay the couple’s £20million security bill.
The show’s Twitter poll garnered from than 14,000 responses to the question: ‘Should UK taxpayers foot the bill for Harry, Meghan and Archie’s protection?’
A massive 90.6 per cent responded ‘no’, leaving just 9.4 per cent answering ‘yes’ since the poll surfaced yesterday.