A mother has shared footage of the terrifying moment her teenage daughter suffered a serious spinal injury after performing a ‘dangerous’ social media challenge.
Jane Platt’s daughter Sarah was rushed to A&E last month after taking part in the viral craze, which saw her jump up and land awkwardly on her neck.
The dangerous stunt is thought to be part of the ‘skull breaker challenge’ currently circulating video sharing app TikTok.
The prank sees three participants standing in a line jump high in the air, and the two on the end then take out the third person’s legs as they land, tumbling to the ground.
A dramatic photo shows Sarah Platt lying flat with a brace on her head and neck after hurting herself taking part in a vital TikTok trend
Two people standing either side of Sarah Platt (centre) jump high in the air with her before sweeping her legs out from underneath her as part of the prank
A dramatic photo taken after the fall shows Sarah lying flat with a brace on her head and neck.
The teen later required special treatment at the spinal unit at Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford, where she was diagnosed with ligament damage and potentially broken neck bones.
Sarah’s mother Jane took to social media to warn other parents of the dangerous prank by sharing the terrifying video.
She shared footage of the moment the injury occurred with the caption: ‘Please please if you have teenagers doing TikToks.
‘Do not get them involved in this. I’m sitting in A&E with my daughter with a severe spinal injury.’
Jane’s post sparked an outpouring of concern from social media users.
Sue Brogden wrote: ‘Jane oh my god, hope everything is going to be okay. Keep us posted. Sarah sending you so much love and many hugs right now.’
Morag Anderson added: ‘Omg I saw another post on Facebook the other day with a little boy who had been badly hurt as a result of this. I hope she makes a quick recovery.’
And Gail Sutherland said: ‘Omg. That is shocking news Jane. I hope your daughter is okay. This needs to stop as it’d just horrific.’
Jane later confirmed in the comments that Sarah had managed to start ‘shuffling’ but began to be ‘violently sick.’
Jane added: ‘We had another six X-rays done. We had a CT head scan very late last night as she was very very sick yesterday afternoon.
Sarah’s terrified mother, Jane, has warned other parents to be aware after seeing her daughter requiring special treatment for her injuries, an ordeal she described as ‘an absolute roller coaster’
‘Both okay spine and spinal cord okay – lots of soft tissue and ligament damage.
‘If she has cracked the three very small bones in her neck Mother Nature will take over (neither you could see in the X-ray or CT scan).
‘Sarah’s right leg is still causing a problem but in time hopefully will rectify itself in due course.
‘This has been an absolute roller coaster, it could’ve been a different ending.
‘Sarah has been very lucky – please share this original post about this dangerous Tiktok craze.’
She confirmed the teen was at home resting, saying: ‘She’s on the mend, but as a parent seeing your daughter with a neck collar and head taped down is very scary.’