The Queen told Prince Harry he will ‘always be welcomed back’ during four-hour rift-healing talks at Windsor Castle, a royal source has claimed.
Her Majesty, 93, reportedly met with her grandson over lunch to ‘clear the air’ ahead of his and Meghan Markle‘s departure from royal duties at the end of the month.
It is believed Harry walked almost two miles from Frogmore Cottage in Home Park, Windsor to the castle on Sunday after requesting a meeting with his grandmother.
An insider said the Queen ended the chat by telling Harry he is ‘much loved and will always be welcomed back’, the Sun reported.
The Queen told Prince Harry (pictured together) he will ‘always be welcomed back’ during four-hour rift-healing talks at Windsor Castle, a royal source has claimed
‘The Queen had a lot to talk to Harry about and this was the ideal time for them to both say their piece,’ the royal source added.
‘Sunday was the first time the Queen has had the chance to talk to Harry on his own and really find out what his plans are. It was a much more relaxed environment and they were both able to speak their mind.’
The source added the monarch is ‘very upset’ about Meghan and Harry’s decision to leave for North America and ‘would love to see more’ of her nine-month-old great-grandson Archie.
‘She accepts at the moment that his mind is made up and he intends to live in North America,’ the source added.
‘However she also wanted to make it clear that the arrangement can only work if they do not exploit their royal status and try to “cash in” — that’s why she wouldn’t let them use the word “royal” for their foundation.’
Her Majesty reportedly met with her grandson (pictured with Meghan Markle) over lunch to ‘clear the air’ ahead of his and Meghan Markle’s departure from royal duties at the end of the month
An insider said the Queen ended the chat by telling Harry he is ‘much loved and will always be welcomed back’
The Queen also reportedly made it ‘very clear’ to Harry that he and Meghan are ‘always able to come back if they change their minds’ and will be welcomed with ‘open arms’.
The alleged meeting, which would be the pair’s first face-to-face talk since ‘Megxit’ was announced, comes after Harry and Meghan’s final official engagement as royals was confirmed on Sunday.
The couple are set to join the Queen, Prince William and Kate Middleton for a Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey next week.
It will be the first time the Duke and Duchess have appeared with the royal family since their bombshell ‘Megxit’ announcement in January, and their last as senior royals.
Harry and Meghan caused a royal crisis when they announced they wanted to step back into a dual role, supporting the Queen and earning their own money.
The source added the monarch is reportedly ‘very upset’ about Meghan and Harry’s decision to leave royal duties and ‘would love to see more’ of her nine-month-old great-grandson Archie
The alleged meeting comes after Harry and Meghan’s final official engagement as royals was confirmed on Sunday (Pictured: the Duke and Duchess of Sussex with the Queen)
But the plan was unworkable, and the couple are now dropping their HRH styles and stepping away from the monarchy completely, for a life mostly in North America, from March 31.
Last week, Canada confirmed it would stop providing security for the couple when they step down as royals, prompting the prospect of the entire bill – estimated to be up to £20m a year – set to fall on British taxpayers.
Who will foot the bill for Meghan and Harry’s security costs?
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RMCP) yesterday revealed that they will cease to provide security for Meghan and Harry once they officially step back from their royal duties.
Canadian officials said that this had been a deal that was brokered with the Met Police in London.
In their roles as senior royals, the couple had their security paid for by the state and once they step back from these officials roles in the coming weeks it has not yet been clear as to who will foot the bill.
According to the Royals’ 2018-2019 financial reports, physical security is not covered by the Sovereign Grant.
The costs are likely to fall on British taxpayers even when the prince and the former actress move to Canada on a permanent basis.
This could be due to the fact that Harry has been a high-value target since serving in the military.
But Prince Harry is still set to receive money from his father from the Duchy Estate and could use these funds to pay to keep his family safe.
Harry is worth an estimated £30million.
It prompted royal expert Phil Dampier to insist the pair should not receive public money for security when they become private citizens with their own income, which is set to be millions of pounds a year.
The Commonwealth Day service in London on March 9 will be broadcast live on BBC One and across the BBC World Service.
International boxing champion and Olympic gold medallist Anthony Joshua will deliver a reflection, while singers Alexandra Burke and Craig David will perform.
Guests of honour among the 2,000-strong congregation will include Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the Commonwealth secretary-general Baroness Scotland, high commissioners, ambassadors, faith leaders and more than 800 schoolchildren and young people.
The Queen and the royal family will meet people involved in the service and walk past the Commonwealth flag bearers as they leave.
The Duchess will attend the Endeavour Fund Awards with Prince Harry in three days’ time after flying to the UK from Canada.
Harry has attended every ceremony since the inaugural one in 2017, which he went to with his brother William.
He went to the event in 2018 and 2019 with Meghan.
Canadian police confirmed on February 27 it would stop assisting with security for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex when they step down as working royals and become private citizens after ‘Megxit’.
This means the cost of round-the-clock protection for the couple and baby Archie will fall solely to the taxpayer-funded Metropolitan Police, despite the couple leaving the UK for North America.
Pictured: Queen Elizabeth with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex during a group photo at the Queen’s Young Leaders Awards Ceremony at Buckingham Palace
The force, which currently protects the couple at home and abroad – refused to comment on whether they would continue to do so after Megxit. Buckingham Palace declined to say if Harry and Meghan would contribute any their own money for their protection.
Royal expert Phil Dampier said the couple should not receive public money for security when they become private citizens with their own income, which is set to be millions of pounds a year.
‘It was only a matter of time before the Canadians stopped paying for their security because they’re no longer working royals and now obviously the burden will fall on British taxpayers,’ he told MailOnline.
The Taxpayers’ Alliance said: ‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex can’t have it both ways: either they’re working royals with the obligations which that entails, or they’re private citizens seeking independence.’
More than 90 per cent say taxpayers should not have to pay Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s £20m security bill, Good Morning Britain poll finds
The show’s Twitter poll garnered from than 14,000 responses to the question: ‘Should UK taxpayers foot the bill for Harry, Meghan and Archie’s protection?’
A massive 90.6 per cent responded ‘no’, leaving just 9.4 per cent answering ‘yes’ since the poll surfaced yesterday.
Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid revealed the results on this morning’s programme as they discussed the row over who should fund the Sussexes since they stepped down as senior Royals and the duties the roles entail.
Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid (pictured, left, on today’s Good Morning Britain) revealed that the majority of poll respondents don’t want the taxpayer to pick up the bill for Harry and Meghan (right, at Canada House in central London in January
Princess Diana’s former protection officer Ken Wharfe suggested that the Queen should pay the security bill for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle because there is a ‘real risk’ of someone trying to kidnap Archie.
Mr Wharfe said that the biggest threat facing the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is that someone may snatch their son.
‘Archie is probably the biggest threat to the family, more than the parents, there’s a real risk of a kidnap given all the publicity,’ he told Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid.
He also suggested that Diana’s car crash death in 1997 was in part down to the fact that she had not used proper royal protection officers on the night in question as he warned that Harry and Meghan’s security shouldn’t be farmed out to private firms.
‘We know what happened to Diana in 1997 because of the inefficient security afforded to her at that time,’ he said.
The countdown to Megxit: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle last five engagements – including joining the Queen on Commonwealth Day – before their time as working royals ends on March 31
The countdown to Megxit is now on with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex due to step down as working royals in less than five weeks.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will take part in just five more engagements before they officially step down on March 31 and close their Buckingham Palace office.
However, their final official engagement is expected to be as soon as March 9, when they will join the Queen at Westminster Abbey to mark Commonwealth Day.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are pictured leaving Canada House in London on January 7
Both Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, will return to the UK over the next two weeks to undertake their final engagements as working royals.
These will be carried out as part of the royal rota system under the scrutiny of national media – print, radio and television – before they withdraw from it.
The Sussexes are living in a mansion on Vancouver Island in Canada with baby Archie – but sources say they see their future in the US.
Other events they will attend will include the Endeavour Fund Awards on March 5 and the Mountbatten Music Festival at the Royal Albert Hall two days later.
The couple have been told to drop their ‘Sussex Royal’ label, despite setting up a flashy new website to complement their popular Instagram feed under the title.
The Queen and senior officials are believed to have agreed it is no longer tenable for the couple to keep the word ‘royal’ in their ‘branding’.
Harry will retain his military ranks of major, lieutenant commander and squadron leader but will not use his honorary military positions.
The roles will remain unfilled during an agreed 12-month trial period, leaving the door open for him to return. Harry will also remain sixth in line to the throne.
Both Harry and Meghan will return to the UK over the next two weeks to undertake their final engagements as working royals.
Here is a guide to what their final six engagements will be before they step down:
March 5: Endeavour Fund Awards (Harry and Meghan)
The couple will attend the Endeavour Fund Awards on March 5 which recognises wounded, injured or sick military personnel and veterans who have gone on to use sport and adventurous challenges as part of their recovery and rehabilitation.
Harry has attended every ceremony since the inaugural one in 2017, which he went to with his brother William. He went to the event in 2018 and 2019 with Meghan.
The Endeavour Fund was led by his and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Royal Foundation which saw them step up the drive to help wounded service personnel.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex pose with nominees and guests at the Endeavour Fund Awards at Drapers’ Hall in London on February 7, 2019
Harry speaks to guests at a reception for the Endeavour Fund at St James’s Palace in 2015
The Fund has brought about programmes such as Climb2Recovery, led by former Royal Engineer Neil Heritage Team Endeavour Racing, which was started by former Infantryman Stu Croxford and carried on by Royal Engineer veteran Brian Seggie.
It has also resulted in an expedition to Oman organised by a veteran Rifleman, Matt Fisher, which saw him and the team spend several days crossing the desert with Fund ambassador Levison Wood.
Harry has said of the Fund: ‘I am continually amazed by the tenacity, fortitude and unshakable humour displayed by the men and women who sign up to run races, cross oceans, climb mountains or take on challenges few would even contemplate.’
March 6: Silverstone Experience (Harry)
The following day, Harry will join British Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton at the official opening of the Silverstone Experience.
The much-anticipated museum – which the Duke has been backing for years – will tell the story of the past, present and future of British motor racing.
Harry official launched the project for the £19.3million visitor attraction in March 2018 and is the patron of the museum in Northamptonshire.
Prince Harry (right) meets racing drivers Jenson Button (left), Lewis Hamilton (second right) and former F1 World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart (second left) at Silverstone in July 2011
Prince Harry, his cousin George McCorquodale and his mother Princess Diana are shown the workings of a Williams F1 car at Silverstone by driver David Coulthard in July 1994
It was built inside a former Wellington bomber hanger located within the grounds of the track and officials hope it more than 500,000 people a year will visit.
Harry had promised it would be ‘an exhilarating attraction, based here at the home of British motorsport and I’m sure it will help to engage children in engineering’.
The Duke is a big F1 fan, and congratulated Hamilton on his title win in November 2014 by telling him on the radio: ‘Lewis, you’re an absolute legend. Well done mate.’
March 7: Mountbatten Music Festival (Harry and Meghan)
The couple will also attend the Mountbatten Music Festival at the Royal Albert Hall, which see the Royal Marines showcase their musicianship and pageantry.
The festival takes places over two days – March 6 and March 7 – at the venue in London, with Harry expected to attend the Saturday evening performance.
Last year’s concert saw the Marine bands performed a range of different songs, including versions of popular hits by Take That and the Greatest Showman.
The Duke of Sussex at the Mountbatten Festival of Music at the Royal Albert Hall in March 2019
The 2019 event also marked the 75th anniversary of D-Day. All proceeds from the concert this year will again go to The Royal Marines Charity and CLIC Sargent.
This event will also be Harry’s last engagement as Captain-General of the Royal Marines, before he loses this title as he steps down as a senior royal.
The couple will continue to be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as well as by the Earl and Countess of Dumbarton and the Baron and Baroness of Kilkeel.
March 8: International Women’s Day (Meghan)
Meghan is expected to undertake an engagement to mark International Women’s Day on March 8, although no specifics have yet been revealed.
Speaking on a panel to mark International Women’s Day last year, she said she would like her first child to be a feminist, regardless of whether they are a girl or a boy.
She told an audience at King’s College London last March: ‘One of the things they said during pregnancy was “I feel the embryonic kicking of feminism”.’
Meghan speaks at a panel in London in March 2019 with model Adwoa Aboah (left) and former Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard (right) to mark International Women’s Day last year
Meghan has spoken about how noticed during a school assignment that an advert for a dishwashing detergent suggested women do all the cleaning.
She complained about it in a letter to Proctor and Gamble when she was aged just 11, and the firm responded by changing a line in the advert.
In 2018, Harry and Meghan took part in an International Women’s Day event in Birmingham to encourage young women to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and maths (Stem) subjects.
March 9: Commonwealth Service (Harry and Meghan)
Harry and Meghan will both attend the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey the next day with the Queen and other senior members of the Royal Family.
Earlier this month it was revealed that the Queen had requested that Harry and Meghan attend the annual service with the rest of the royals.
The event will likely see the Duke and Duchess of Sussex reunite with Prince William and Kate, a year after they were pictured smiling together at the 2019 service.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (left) with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (right) as they attend the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on March 11 last year
Prince Harry and Meghan arrive for the Commonwealth Day service in London in March 2019
But the Sussexes have severed professional ties with the Cambridges by pulling out of the Kensington Palace household and their joint charitable foundation.
At last year’s event, Harry and Meghan were seated beside Prince Andrew, who has left his royal duties after an interview about his paedophile friend Jeffrey Epstein.
The 2019 service included performances by the Dhol Foundation drummers, Clean Bandit, William Barton on the didgeridoo, tenor Alfie Boe and the B Positive choir.
Commonwealth Day has been celebrated since 1977 annually on the second Monday in March, celebrating the historic ties Britain has with the 53 other countries.