McDonald’s has announced it will reopen around 700 dine-in restaurants across the UK from tomorrow but customers will need to leave their contact details.
The fast-food giant confirmed customers would be able to enter a number of their UK establishments from July 22 in a move which will also allow some restaurants to take part in the Chancellor’s ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ scheme next month.
The move, which follows a successful trial in four restaurant sites, comes just weeks after McDonald’s reopened its Drive Thru and McDelivery services amid the coronavirus pandemic.
In a statement, McDonald’s said: ‘Around 700 restaurants will reopen for dine-in with customers able to enjoy their McDonald’s favourites inside the restaurant.
The fast-food giant confirmed customers would be able to enter a number of their UK establishments from July 22 following a successful pilot trial. (Stock image)
‘Social distancing measures will be in place and, to prevent congestion, the restaurant will carefully manage the number of customers inside.
‘When arriving, customers will be asked to use the hand sanitiser provided and follow the safety measures laid out in restaurants to help keep them, other customers and restaurant teams safe.’
Upon arrival, customers will be asked to use the hand sanitiser provided at the entrance and follow the safety measures laid out in restaurants to help keep them, other customers and restaurant teams safe.
Food will also be served by table-service only with customers able to order directly to their table via the My McDonald’s App, at the till or kiosk.
McDonald’s will also ask customers that choose to eat-in to leave their contact details by using their smart phone to either scan a QR code taking them to a dedicated webpage or by visiting that webpage directly, in line with government guidance.
The contact details will include their name, a phone number, the date and time of visit and the restaurant number.
When inside the restaurant clear floor-markings and signposting will help customers and staff remain a safe distance from each other.
Customers will be served by table-service and be able to order directly to their table via the My McDonald’s App, at the till or kiosk.
After reopened 571 branches last month for delivery, customers were able to order food using takeaway apps Just Eat and Uber Eats (Pictured: Queues in Derby)
STOURBRIDGE: Cars queue to be served at a McDonald’s Drive Thru in Stourbridge on June 4
HUDDERSFIELD: An aerial shot shows cars circling a McDonald’s in Huddersfield on June 3
Perspex screens have been installed in the kitchens, service areas and Drive-thru windows.
The move comes just weeks after McDonald’s announced plans to slash prices on some of its best-loved items.
McDonald’s earlier announced that it had recommended that franchises reduce prices on classic menu items – including 50p off its much-loved breakfast meals.
Other prices to come down include a 40p reduction on Extra Value Meals, 30p off Happy Meals, and cuts to the McCafe coffee range.
Following the Chancellor’s announcement, Starbucks said it too would pass on the 15 per cent discount on coffee in stores while outlets with Starbucks licences could pass on whatever reductions suited their business.
Nando’s, KFC, Pret A Manger, Costa Coffee, Wetherspoons have also followed suit as they try to entice back customers, in a shot in the arm to Britain’s struggling high streets.
However the move to slash the price of junk food quickly prompted a backlash from health campaigners.
Barbara Crowther, co-ordinator of the Children’s Food Campaign, previously said: ‘The Government needs to make sure tax incentives and VAT cuts are in line with its own anti-obesity drive. Quite simply, healthy food should be more affordable than unhealthy food.
‘At the moment Government measures are choc-full of contradiction and confusion.
‘On the one hand, Rishi’s VAT cuts and new £10 August meal deal offer will apply regardless of whether food and drink are healthy or not, whilst on the other the Government obesity plan sensibly looks set to introduce restrictions on junk food multi-buy deals.’
On June 10, McDonald’s reopened 571 branches for delivery with customers able to order food using takeaway apps Just Eat and Uber Eats.
The fast food chain previously reopened 1,000 restaurants for Drive-Thru or McDelivery with strict coronavirus restrictions put in place.
However those who wished to order from McDonald’s still had to choose from a limited menu, with a £25 spending limit and reduced hours in place.
With breakfast back, what will be included in McDonalds’ limited menu?
Quarter Pounder with Cheese
The breakfast menu (in a few weeks)
Sides & Desserts:
McFlurry (Oreo, Maltesers, Smarties)
No milkshakes or smoothies
No chicken wraps
There are no promotional items, such as the Big Tasty Range
No carrot stick bags, apple pies or muffins