A mental health blogger who took her own life by swallowing a poisonous substance was failed by the psychiatric hospital caring for her, a jury has found.
Beth Matthews, 26, died a short time after taking the substance, which she had ordered online and told staff was protein powder in March last year.
She was being treated at the Priory Hospital Cheadle Royal in Stockport.
An inquest jury concluded she died from suicide contributed to by neglect.
The hearing was told Ms Matthews, originally from Cornwall, was being treated for a personality disorder.
She was a complex patient considered at high risk of suicide, and had a history of frequent suicide attempts.
The jury found that while under the care of the Priory “it was evident there were serious inconsistencies across all levels of her care plan”.
The hospital provided “inadequate care of a highly vulnerable patent,” the jury said.
Jurors found there was a widespread “lack of communication, failing to escalate serious risk factors, lack of team cohesion, and reliance on inaccurate and inadequate information”.
The way Ms Matthews’ post was managed was particularly criticised.
She was inappropriately allowed to open the package she ordered with two staff monitoring her at arm’s length away, the hearing was told.
The jury found the supervising staff were “unable to prevent her from consuming” the substance.
The evidence demonstrated there had been a “frequent deviation” from care plan guidance, they said.
- If you are affected by any of the issues in this article you can find details of organisations that can help via the BBC Action Line.
Around the BBC
Related Internet Links