Prince Charles says public support is ‘sustaining’ royal family after Philip’s death
Buckingham Palace has announced that the Duke of Edinburgh’s ceremonial royal funeral will take place on 17 April.
A national minute’s silence will be observed before the televised service begins in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, at 3pm.
The Queen and her family will be following Covid guidelines and wearing face masks and socially distancing for the funeral procession.
While Prince Harry will travel to the UK for the service, his pregnant wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, will not attend on medical advice.
Earlier on Saturday gun salutes marking the death of the Duke of Edinburgh were fired across the UK, in Gibraltar and at sea. The public was encouraged to observe the gun salutes from home.
The Prince of Wales also released a video tribute to his “dear papa”, describing him as a “much loved and appreciated” figure.
Prince Philip died peacefully in his sleep on Friday morning at Windsor Castle. He would have celebrated his 100th birthday in June.
His children paid tribute to him as the “rock” in the Queen and their family’s lives.
All English Football League (EFL) matches that were due to kick off at 3pm next Saturday will be rescheduled to ensure they do not clash with the funeral of Prince Philip, it has been announced.
The Premier League have not yet announced any changes to the two fixtures taking place that day, Southampton vs Crystal Palace and Wolves vs Sheffield United.
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 20:29
Prince Philip’s funeral is likely to cost far less than similar events in recent history due to pandemic restrictions and his own wishes for a scaled-back ceremony.
The Queen Mother’s funeral arrangements in 2002, which included a fly-past and a lying-in-state in Westminster Hall, cost more than £5.4 million.
Diana, Princess of Wales’s funeral – a form of ceremonial royal funeral – is estimated to have cost between £3 million and £5 million in 1997.
Baroness Thatcher’s ceremonial funeral at St Paul’s Cathedral in 2013 cost the taxpayer around £3.2 million.
Philip will not lie in state, in accordance with his wishes, and fewer police will be needed given that the planned processions through the streets of London and Windsor will not be taking place.
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 20:13
Duke of Edinburgh’s Award ‘changed my life’
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award provided the the promise of new and exciting adventures but it also shaped who I am today, allowing me to give back to others the skills, knowledge and confidence I have gained through the years, writes Sian Annakin.
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 19:57
PM will not attend funeral, says No10
Boris Johnson will not attend the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral, Downing Street has said.
A No 10 spokesperson said: “As a result of the coronavirus regulations, only 30 people can attend the funeral of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
“The Prime Minister has throughout wanted to act in accordance with what is best for the Royal household, and so to allow for as many family members as possible will not be attending the funeral on Saturday.”
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 19:35
Public urged to stay home and watch funeral on TV
Members of the public have been urged to stay away from Windsor Castle during the funeral and instead pay their respects by watching it on TV.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “While there is sadness that the public will not be able to physically be part of events to commemorate the life of the duke, the royal family asks that anyone wishing to express their condolences do so in the safest way possible and not by visiting Windsor or any other royal palaces to pay their respects.
“The family’s wish is very much that people continue to follow the guidelines to keep themselves and others safe.
“His Royal Highness’s funeral will be broadcast to enable as many people as possible to be part of the occasion, to mourn with us and celebrate a truly extraordinary life.”
The Mayor of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, Councillor John Story, said: “We are honoured that the funeral of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh will be taking place at Windsor Castle on Saturday April 17.
“Although this will happen in private at St George’s Chapel, it will be televised meaning that those both locally and around the world will be able to be part of this historic event.
“We are reminding everyone to remember the current public health guidance around Covid-19 and request that people do not gather outside Windsor Castle, on the Long Walk or in Windsor town centre.
“We recommend that you pay your respects from the safety of your own home and avoid making non-essential journeys to Windsor.”
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 19:33
Details of 20-minute funeral procession
This is the timeline of the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral procession next Saturday, as reported by Press Association.
2.40pm: Coffin emerges from State Entrance of Windsor Castle
The duke’s coffin, accompanied by the Dean of Windsor and the Lord Chamberlain, will be moved to the State Entrance of Windsor Castle by members of The Queen’s Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.
It will be placed on to a specially modified Land Rover, which Philip helped to design, to transport it to St George’s Chapel.
2.45pm: The procession leaves for St George’s Chapel
The procession from the state entrance to the West Steps of the chapel will take eight minutes.
The Prince of Wales and members of the royal family will take part in the procession on foot, immediately behind the duke’s coffin, together with staff from Philip’s household.
The route of the procession will be lined by representatives drawn from the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the Highlanders, 4th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland and the Royal Air Force.
Minute guns will be fired by the King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery from the east lawn of Windsor Castle for the duration of the procession, and the Curfew Tower Bell will toll.
2.53pm: The Land Rover reaches the West Steps of the chapel
A Guard of Honour and Band from The Rifles will receive the coffin at the foot of the West Steps, with the national anthem being played as the coffin enters Horseshoe Cloister.
A bearing party of Royal Marines will carry the coffin up the steps and pause for the minute’s silence.
3.00pm: National minute of silence
Following the minute’s silence, the Dean of Windsor, together with the Archbishop of Canterbury, will receive the coffin at the top of the West Steps.
In keeping with coronavirus guidelines to limit guests inside the chapel, most of the procession will not enter the chapel, except for members of the royal family, and the duke’s private secretary Archie Miller Bakewell.
The funeral service will begin as the coffin enters St George’s Chapel.
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 19:23
Philip helped design Land Rover to be used in his funeral
Prince Philip helped to design the Land Rover which will carry his coffin to his funeral.
The modified vehicle’s role in the procession always formed part of Operation Forth Bridge – the codename given to the plans following Philip’s death – although all public elements of the ceremony have now been removed because of the pandemic.
Under the original plans the vehicle was to transport the Duke of Edinburgh’s coffin from Wellington Arch in central London to Windsor, with members of the royal family walking through Windsor town centre to the castle.
A Palace spokesman said: “The duke had a great interest in design so that is where the involvement of the Land Rover comes from.
“The Land Rover was very much part of the original plans as approved by the duke.”
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 19:15
EFL matches moved to avoid 3pm clash with funeral
Football matches scheduled for 3pm next Saturday will be moved to avoid a clash with the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral, the English Football League has said.
“The EFL will now work with its clubs to determine at what time the matches will be played, giving consideration to the timing of the service,” an EFL spokesperson said.
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 19:06
The Duke of Edinburgh in fashion
The Duke of Edinburgh was known for many things, from his philanthropy to his dedication to environmentalism. But one thing the late Prince Philip was not quite as well known for was his sense of style.
Oliver Petter believes that he might just have been the royal family’s sartorial dark horse.
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 18:56
Members of the public flocked to Windsor Castle on Saturday, despite appeals from authorities and the royal family to avoid large gatherings because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“I think everyone would like to pay their respects,” Maureen Field, 67, said outside Windsor Castle. “Because of the virus, a lot of people have to stay away. He didn’t want a big funeral. He wanted a very private time with his family to say their goodbyes. So, we’ve all got to respect that.”
Mike Williams, 50, traveled from his home in Surrey, southwest of London, to Buckingham Palace to honor the prince.“He’s a massive loss to the country and to the world, I think, so we wanted to come and pay respects,” Williams said. “I don’t know what it achieves, but it just felt like the right thing to do.”
A pair of newlyweds also posed for a photograph in front of the crowds outside Windsor Castle.
Peter Stubley10 April 2021 18:48