Watch live as MPs pay tribute to Duke of Edinburgh

The Duke of Cambridge issued a statement honouring his “extraordinary” grandfather as MPs began nearly eight hours of tributes to Prince Philip.

Prince William highlighted the Duke of Edinburgh’s “infectious sense of adventure as well as his mischievous sense of humour” and added: “I feel lucky to have not just had his example to guide me, but his enduring presence well into my own adult life.”

Meanwhile his brother the Duke of Sussex has reportedly flown back to the UK ahead of his grandfather Prince Philip’s funeral.

Buckingham Palace confirmed over the weekend Harry – who now lives in California – would make the journey from the US, marking his first return to the country since stepping down as a senior royal just over a year ago.

The Duchess of Sussex, who is pregnant with their second child, will remain in the US on her doctor’s advice.

Over in parliament, authorities confirmed MPs will dedicate a whole day of work to a marathon session of tributes to Prince Philip, who died aged 99 on Friday. No other Commons business will be conducted on Monday, with MPs set to spend seven and a half hours paying tributes to the duke from 2.30pm.

In Scotland, the country’s parliament was recalled for only the sixth time in its history in order for MSPs to pay their respects to Philip. First minister Nicola Sturgeon said the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were a “true partnership”.

The Welsh Senedd and Northern Ireland assembly also met for special sittings to allow tributes to the Duke of Edinburgh.

1618235095

PM leads tributes in Commons

Boris Johnson is now making his statement on the death of Prince Philip in the Commons, as MPs begin nearly eight hours of tributes.

Watch live as MPs return to parliament to pay tribute to Prince Philip

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 14:44

1618234941

Here’s the full story on Prince Harry’s statement:

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 14:42

1618234757

Prince Harry pays tribute to ‘legend of banter’

Here’s the full statement issued through Prince Harry’s foundation Archewell:

“My grandfather was a man of service, honour and great humour. He was authentically himself, with a seriously sharp wit, and could hold the attention of any room due to his charm-and also because you never knew what he might say next.

“He will be remembered as the longest reigning consort to the Monarch, a decorated serviceman, a Prince and a Duke. But to me, like many of you who have lost a loved one or grandparent over the pain of this past year, he was my grandpa: master of the barbecue, legend of banter, and cheeky right ‘til the end.

“He has been a rock for Her Majesty The Queen with unparalleled devotion, by her side for 73 years of marriage, and while I could go on, I know that right now he would say to all of us, beer in hand, ‘Oh do get on with it!’

“So, on that note, Grandpa, thank you for your service, your dedication to Granny, and for always being yourself. You will be sorely missed, but always remembered-by the nation and the world. Meghan, Archie, and I (as well as your future great-granddaughter) will always hold a special place for you in our hearts.

“‘Per Mare, Per Terram.”’

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 14:39

1618234506

Prince Harry statement

The Duke of Sussex has also issued a statement describing his grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh as “a man of service, honour and great humour”.

He added that Prince Philip “was my grandpa: master of the barbecue, legend of banter, and cheeky right ‘til the end”.

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 14:35

1618234029

‘I will miss my Grandpa, but I know he would want us to get on with the job’

Here’s our full story on Prince William’s statement:

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 14:27

1618233931

Kensington Palace has tweeted out the Duke of Cambridge’s statement with a photograph of his son Prince George with the Duke of Edinburgh in a carriage.

The image was taken by the Duchess of Cambridge in Norfolk in 2015.

Prince William said: “I will never take for granted the special memories my children will always have of their great-grandpa coming to collect them in his carriage and seeing for themselves his infectious sense of adventure as well as his mischievous sense of humour!”

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 14:25

1618232825

Prince William pays tribute to “extraordinary” grandpa

The Duke of Cambridge has issued a statement describing the Duke of Edinburgh as “an extraordinary man”.

Prince William said: “My grandfather’s century of life was defined by service – to his country and Commonwealth, to his wife and Queen, and to our family.

“I feel lucky to have not just had his example to guide me, but his enduring presence well into my own adult life – both through good times and the hardest days. I will always be grateful that my wife had so many years to get to know my grandfather and for the kindness he showed her.

“My grandfather was an extraordinary man and part of an extraordinary generation. Catherine and I will continue to do what he would have wanted and will support The Queen in the years ahead. I will miss my Grandpa, but I know he would want us to get on with the job.”

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 14:07

1618232548

‘The nation has lost one of its greatest figures’

The nation and the Commonwealth has lost one of its greatest figures, the Lord Speaker said as he led tributes to the Duke of Edinburgh in the House of Lords.

Lord Fowler told the upper chamber that Philip‘s legacy “will live on, as will our sincere gratitude”.

He was speaking as the Lords moved a humble address to the Queen to express the house’s “heartfelt sympathy” on the death of her husband at the age of 99.

House of Lords pay tribute to Prince Philip

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 14:02

1618232207

Lords who make video tribute can claim £162 allowance

Peers in the House of Lords will be able to claim a £162 “attendance allowance” if they make a remote tribute to Prince Philip over video call, parliamentary authorities have confirmed.

The upper house has cancelled all of its usual parliamentary business on Monday to make way for a marathon session of tributes to the late Duke, who passed away aged 99 last week.

Unlike the Commons, which has been recalled a day early for the occasion, the Lords had planned to sit on Monday so has now cleared its agenda to make time to praise the Royal.

Peter Stubley12 April 2021 13:56

1618231562

Armed police on patrol in Windsor

Police are stepping up their presence in Windsor in the run-up to the funeral on Saturday, with armed officers on patrol during the period of national mourning.

Thames Valley Police said in a statement: “Windsor Castle is a primary Royal residency and we are expecting the town to be busier than normal, as people come to pay their respects.

“Additional officers will be patrolling the town centre along with the surrounding area to help provide reassurance and keep local residents, businesses and visitors safe at this sad time.”

Thames Valley Police said it was carrying out “high visibility patrols” and the public would notice an “increased police presence, including armed officers, in Windsor during this national time of mourning”.

Inspector Matt Lugg, who is co-ordinating the patrols, said they were part of measures to “ensure public health and safety” as officers expect an increase in the numbers of people in Windsor in the coming days, adding: “We would remind people to remain vigilant, and if they have any concerns or questions to approach us.”

<amp-img src="https://static.independent.co.uk/2021/04/12/13/newFile-4.jpg?width=982&height=726&auto=webp&quality=75" alt="

Police vehicles and officers outside Windsor Castle

” height=”726″ width=”982″ srcset=”https://static.independent.co.uk/2021/04/12/13/newFile-4.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&quality=75 640w” layout=”responsive” class=”i-amphtml-layout-responsive i-amphtml-layout-size-defined” i-amphtml-layout=”responsive”>

Police vehicles and officers outside Windsor Castle