The congregation will include family, friends, dignitaries and representatives of many charities and organisations with which the Duke of Edinburgh was associated.
Further details will be announced in the coming months, with the service likely to take place around one year after Philip’s death at Windsor Castle aged 99 on April 9.
The Queen is thought to have been considering holding a national service of thanksgiving for Philip for some months, and has now rubber-stamped the plans.
Various organisations will now be approached about plans for the service, with arrangements being flexible due to the ever-changing situation with Covid-19.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman told MailOnline today: ‘The Queen has agreed that a Service of Thanksgiving for the life of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh will take place in the spring of 2022 at Westminster Abbey.’
The Queen and Prince Philip in June 2014. The Duke of Edinburgh died on April 9 aged 99
The Queen is currently preparing to spend her first Christmas without her husband at Windsor, having abandoned plans to travel to the Sandringham estate.
They are likely to be joined by Prince Andrew and his former wife, Sarah, Duchess of York, plus their two daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie.
The Earl and Countess of Wessex are also expected to be there, with their children, James, Viscount Severn, and Lady Louise – but Anne will not be attending.
It comes after the Queen received a festive blow upon learning that her son-in-law Sir Timothy Laurence contracted Covid, meaning neither he nor Anne could join her.
The service will take place at Westminster Abbey in London in spring on a date to be confirmed
The Queen had already decided to cancel her pre-Christmas dinner at Windsor for her extended family this week as a result of rising coronavirus cases.
And on Monday it was revealed that she had also decided to scrap plans to travel to her beloved Sandringham country estate in Norfolk for Christmas.
Sources indicated that the Queen felt it was ‘too difficult’ for her family and staff to move between residences safely bearing in mind pleas from the Government for the public to be cautious. One said: ‘Her Majesty always leads by example.’
Eight months ago on April 17, Britain fell silent in memory of the Duke of Edinburgh as a funeral marking his life of service, devotion and duty took place at Windsor.
The Queen and her family gathered to say farewell to Philip, who died peacefully and was hailed as the ‘grandfather’ of the country by his son Andrew.
Pallbearers carry Prince Philip’s coffin for his funeral service at Windsor Castle on April 17
Covid-19 regulations reduced the scope of the service with public elements cancelled, mourners reduced from around 800 to just 30.
All guests wore face masks and sat apart, and the UK came to a halt to observe a minute’s silence for the Duke who died a few months short of his 100th birthday.
The Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal led senior royals in walking behind their father’s coffin for the short distance from the castle to St George’s Chapel.
Philip’s coffin was carried on a custom-built Land Rover Defender hearse designed by the duke and modified over 16 years.
It was followed for part of its final journey by the Queen, who travelled in a Bentley with Lady Susan Hussey, her trusted lady-in-waiting – with both wearing facemasks.
Watching as it passed were royal mourners including the Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Wessex and her children James and Louise.
Zara and Mike Tindall, Princess Beatrice and her husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, and Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank were also in attendance.
The Duke of Sussex and Duke of Cambridge joined the procession, separated by their cousin Peter Phillips. They were seated opposite one another in the chapel.
Cutting a solitary figure at the front of the quire, near the altar, the Queen sat apart from her children. There was a space left beside her where Philip would have sat.
Source: Daily Mail UK