Share

A criminology student who suffered excruciating second degree burns on her leg has warned of the dangers of filling hot water bottles from the kettle after one split open on her lap. 

Cara Wilson, 21, from Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich in Suffolk, said the burns left her in such agony that she was given gas and air in hospital – a drug usually reserved for women in labour. 

She had been at her boyfriend’s house in Suffolk during Nottingham Trent University’s Easter holiday when he passed her a hot water bottle filled with boiling water. 

She said she put it underneath the blanket on her lap and immediately felt a burning sensation.   

Cara Wilson (pictured), 21, from Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich in Suffolk, said the burns left her in such agony that she was given gas and air in hospital - a drug usually reserved for women in labour

Cara Wilson (pictured), 21, from Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich in Suffolk, said the burns left her in such agony that she was given gas and air in hospital - a drug usually reserved for women in labour

Cara Wilson (pictured), 21, from Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich in Suffolk, said the burns left her in such agony that she was given gas and air in hospital – a drug usually reserved for women in labour

Once she realised what had happened to the water bottle she was forced to put cooling water and wet towels on her leg for the next 45 minutes and she couldn’t stand up. 

She added that although the boiling water was only on her for a couple of seconds she could tell that the burn was severe from the pain.  

Ms Wilson went to A&E at Ipswich Hospital where her burns started to blister all over her left calf and thigh.

She was made to return to hospital every other day to have the burn redressed but is due to be  

She had been at her boyfriend's house in Suffolk during Nottingham Trent University's Easter holiday when he passed her a hot water bottle filled with boiling water

She had been at her boyfriend's house in Suffolk during Nottingham Trent University's Easter holiday when he passed her a hot water bottle filled with boiling water

She had been at her boyfriend’s house in Suffolk during Nottingham Trent University’s Easter holiday when he passed her a hot water bottle filled with boiling water

She told the BBC: ‘So many people fill up bottles from the kettle, but you are meant to use warm water from taps.

‘Every single person I have spoken to since said they filled theirs from the kettle.

‘The pain has been excruciating, but for a five-year-old where more of the surface of their body could be affected it would be absolutely horrific.’

And Ms Wilson has been told not to expose her leg to any sunlight for at least a year.  

Source: Daily Mail UK

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LIVE OFFLINE
track image
Loading...