Family of 60-year-old Amina Mahama, who escaped being lynched by the youth of Nakpali over witchcraft accusation on Tuesday, April 20, have accused the chief of the community for interfering with police investigation.

According to them, the failure of police to arrest the perpetrators – who attacked and set the house of the 60-year-old ablaze – 48 hours after the incident is the mastermind of the chief.

They called on the Inspector General of Police, James Oppong Boanuh, to expedite action on the case.

Speaking exclusively to in Yendi, where they are currently seeking refuge, her daughter, Nafisah Tahiru, explained the attack on her mother was borne out of hatred.

She noted that her mother’s business successes occasioned the hatred by the youth of the community including the chief who planned to kill her.

“Our mother is a business woman who feeds from her sweat yet they hate her. How can you hate someone for being successful?” she quizzed.

She added: “We lost everything to the fire. Sixteen bags of maize, GH¢8,000 cash, over 1,000 tubers of yam, clothes, personal belongings were all burnt.”

She laments the delay by the security to arrest the perpetrators and blamed the chief for trying to ‘bury’ the case.

Her grandson, Mohammed Abubakar Sadik, is worried state institutions in Zabzugu are not showing interest in the case.

He said though the incident has been reported to the police and the Commission of Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), nothing is being done by the institutions.

He also wants the IGP to take serious interest in the case.

Meanwhile, the victim herself told she hasn’t been herself since the incident happened.

Narrating her ordeal, she noted she was saved by the grace of God.

On Tuesday, April 20 at about 10:00 am, some youth of Nakpali in the Zabzugu District of the Northern Region allegedly attacked and set her house ablaze.

The youth allegedly accused her of having a hand in the death of Sulemana Issah in the community following a misunderstanding between the two.

Her yam barn containing 1,000 tubers, cash amount of GH¢8,000, 16 bags of maize and other properties were burnt to ashes.

Police is yet to effect any arrest.

Attacks on persons accused of witchcraft in the Northern parts of the country is becoming rampant in recent times.

In July, 2020, a 90-year-old woman, Akua Denteh, was allegedly beaten to death by the youth of Kafaba in the East Gonja Municipality of the Savannah Region.

The case is still pending at the Tamale High Court.

Barely a month after the Akua Denteh incident, another woman, Ibrahim Meiri, was attacked and inflicted with machete wounds by the youth of Sumpini, also in the Savannah Region.

By Christopher Amoako||Ghana

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

track image